Repository Accessions at the USDA National Clonal Germplasm Repository for Asimina spp.
Curator: Dr. Kirk W. Pomper
Kentucky State University (KSU) has served as the USDA National Clonal Germplasm Repository for Asimina spp. since 1994, as a satellite site of the repository at Corvallis OR. The orchards at KSU contain more than 1700 pawpaw accessions from 66 distinct geographic regions in 16 different states, and includes 17 commercially available cultivars and 34 advanced selections from the PawPaw Foundation's breeding program. As of 2001, there were 850 pawpaw trees located in KSUs Germplasm orchard, 340 trees in the Hybrid Orchard, 300 trees in the Regional Variety Trial Orchard, and 235 trees in the Alpha Orchard. About 200 pawpaw trees produced fruit at KSU in 2000, all trees were located in the Alpha orchard and were seedlings of 8 to 9 years old. There is also a collection of subtropical pawpaws in the KSU greenhouse representing Asimina longifolia, A. parviflora, and A. tetramera. In response to requests from the public for pawpaw germplasm, KSU is currently distributing small amounts of seed and will distribute scion wood in several years.
Current Asimina Germplasm Collection at KSU:
1. Pawpaw Trees Planted at KSU Research Farm: The orchards KSU contain more than 1700 accessions from 66 distinct geographic regions from 16 different states including
2. Pawpaw Seedlings: Approximately 700 trees, 4 to 10 years in age, are planted in the KSU germplasm orchard from 16 states: Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
3. Grafted Pawpaw Trees: There are 435 total grafted trees that are between 2 and 4 years old in the KSU orchards. There are 215 grafted trees are part of the Pawpaw Regional Variety Trial (see Appendix B). There are 30 grafted trees in five replicated blocks each containing Taytoo, Taylor, Mitchell, NC-1, PA-Golden, and Overleese. There are 15 and 10 trees of k8-2 and k2-7, respectively, in replicated block plantings. There is a planting containing following grafted trees: 16 k8-2, 10 PA-Golden, 10 NC-1, 8 k2-7, and 6 k2-11. There are 140 additional grafted commercial cultivars and PPF advanced selections in the orchards.
4. Pawpaw Intraspecific Hybrid Seedling Trees: 340 trees from PPF's advanced crosses.
5. Interspecific Hybrids: from PPF and Mr. Har Mahdeem - seedlings from the following crosses i. Asimina triloba x A. reticulata (55 seedlings); ii. Asimina triloba x A. obovata (3 seedlings); and iii. Asimina triloba x A. parviflora (20 seedlings).
6. Other Genera/Species: from PPF and Mr. Har Mahdeem - In the field: Asimina parviflora (15 seedlings), in the greenhouse: Asimina tetramera (15 seedlings) and Asimina longifolia (5 seedlings) A. parviflora (4 seedlings).
Questions about pawpaws? Contact Sheri Crabtree at
email@example.com or telephone #
502-597-6375 Pawpaw Program questions? Contact Dr. Kirk Pomper at:
|Top| |Pawpaw Home Page| |KSU Home Page| |KSU Land Grant Page| |CV of Kirk W. Pomper|
Updated March 05, 2007